Saturday, May 17, 2008

Whining about my wine tasting experience - "wine-ding" up in the toilet bowl

I cannot believe how the alcoholic… errrr… workaholic me managed to drag myself to work today after the wine tasting outing yesterday. Was seriously contemplating an MC (Medical Leave) or EL (Emergency Leave) as my whole body was aching and lethargic due to lack of sleep. My lack of sleep was not due to a late night. In fact, we wrapped up around 9:45pm and I was ready for bed by 11:30pm. Before you think it’s a typo, the time stated is correct – it was a half hour drive home and you must understand that we women take a long time to undo all the make up we’ve done in the morning… Ok, the secret is out… You no longer have to wonder why women hog the bathroom in the morning and also when they return home.

Anyway, my lack of sleep was due to a premature hangover. Was already suffering from a splitting headache while driving home. I don’t think it was the amount of wine that we drank (only tasted 8 out of 9 wines served) but the mixture and the pace that made my body react so positively to the alcoholic beverage. Actually MissTry2BTough here is allergic to alcohol but due to my curious nature, I relentlessly challenged my body until the system gave in and accepted alcohol without giving me a terrible rash. Occasionally, my body throws a tantrum and gives me a headache, body ache, stomach churn, diarrhea, nausea etc…And yesterday was major tantrum day and I suffered the symptoms all at the same time. Earlier, one of the drinking mates taught me a new trick. He said, “Do you know that hangover is caused by dehydration? I’ve never had a hangover if I drink 3 glasses of water before I sleep.” I tried the trick (but can only drink up to 1.5 glasses before being too full and had to lie down to rest). And what happened subsequently was not something this Miss Try2BTough had expected.

At around 4am, Miss Try2BTough drowsily but hastily, ran to the bathroom, bumping her legs on the chair and the bed side and woke Mr. B on the way, and started to vomit. Yeah, gross. And mother of all surprises, the puke was all clear. My body rejected all the water! And Mr. B, witnessing this, gave me a weird stare and questioned, “You can’t possibly be pregnant, can you?

Hmm… so much for, “Are you ok, honey?” Also equally surprising, is that my headache subsided after the puke and I caught 40 winks, and I am able to come to work without a terrible hangover. Maybe his water trick did work after all. He probably just didn’t mention that you need to puke out all the water.

Oh, I can’t resist sharing another thing I learnt yesterday. It’s amazing how my every outing seems to widen my horizons and enhanced my knowledge. I mean, at this age, it’s amazing that I still have the capability or the capacity to learn ahaha…

I am no wine connoisseur, but here’s a tip to act like one when the occasion requires it. When tasting wine, the 3 basic things to look out for are the colour, the nose and the palate. The colour should be clear and aroma should be good to your liking and of course the taste should be appetizing to you. And you often see people swirling their wine glasses. Yeah, perhaps they do it to look cool but actually there’s a purpose to it. Swirling actually airs the wine and the air brings out the aroma in the wine to better tease your nose which in turn will enhance your wine experience. So, now we know… Did I say it like a pro?


(pictures courtesy of inmagine http://www.inmagine.com)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hhmph... someone very high society now eh? wine tasting some more! haha!

Kelly Rivers said...

Still waiting for you to bring me into your high society circle...

So when are we going out again? :)