Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Roller Blades? At this age?

I can't believe I did it... Am I having a mid-life crisis?? Ha ha, I don't know but I sure had hell of a fun time when I did it. Umm... can't say the same for S though... She's good at it... and definitely enjoyed it... until somehow she decided she wanted to try something new... the brakes... and she ended up landing on her knees and then later her bum... Oppsy Daisy... but she's fine or so I hope... coz she keeps blaming me for her predicament... and wanted me to carry her to the car or piggy back her home etc etc... But I am sure she'll be fine... Age is on her side... (She's 3 years younger, so should have better recovery rate, eh?)

Earlier during a tea session with the guys, unsure whether it was out of care or jeer, they discouraged me 100% saying that I shouldn't be doing this at my age... Mr.MyHump reminded me that I would feel out of place with all the school kids (since it's the school holidays). LV taunted that I shouldn't scare the kids and Key warned that it's dangerous to do this as it takes a longer time to heal at our age. MC even gave me examples of his lady friend who had a cut on her face while roller blading! MissD24 was so afraid that I would force her to go with me that she quickly went home. I almost chickened out but then I thought, "Hey, if I don't do this, I don't think I'd ever do this again. Who'd be spontaneous (or courageous) enough to go with me when I am much older?"

Boy, am I glad that I went ahead with my plans...as it turns out that we had the whole rink to ourselves! The other 2 skaters were internal workers trying to either practise or show off their stunts. As S and I skate around the rink, with the wind blowing on our faces and hair, the non-stop flashes from the disco globe, the loud but not irritating hit songs blaring from the speakers, I can't help but giggle to myself, and think of yesteryears when I had to sneak out to go roller skating... even though the roller disco, as they were called in those days, was just opposite my house! Memories of winter ice skating in Oxford comes to mind too (I can't even remember the name of the Vietnamese guy (Hung?) who took us to the rink).

I can never forget all those falls and injuries that was part and parcel of the skating outings... the worse one resulted in a slipped-disc on my backbone where my mom thought I was going to be paralysed! (Actually, I was almost paralysed by her nagging and grounding). And the most embarassing was falling down in a mini skirt at Sunway skating rink. It was embarassing because I screamed and the DJ commented that "Oh, another one bite the dust!" and spins that song just to spite me... (Just for the record, I fell on my knees so there wasn't any show to see... And who'd dare to see anyway when I had a menacing guy friend with me threatening to dig the eyeballs out from any roving eyes. ha ha)

Anyway, I am glad I survived all those falls and picked up after myself quite well. And I am also glad that I didn't fall today (so as not to give Key the pleasure of saying "I told you so.") . The best thing about that brief 35 minutes of non-stop skating, (besides burning 300 calories), is the laughters and the tingling cheery feeling that I get inside; just knowing that I can still skate, reminiscing the old times and of course, jokes about the pathetic bump on S's behind... (hahaha pun intended).

Ok ok... enough of high. My adrenaline must be working overtime tonight, disrupting my metabolic rate and sleep pattern. It's already 3 am (and Big B is starting to protest). Goodnite... need to conserve my energy for the Indiana Jones movie tonight and Karaoke tomorrow night... Ahhhh... the days are just packed....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please post more pictures especially those you were skating. Standing and sitting is easy to pose for camera.....

Kelly Rivers said...

Thanks for the comments. Didnt manage to take any "action" pictures as we have kept our belongings into the lockers before going into the rink. Anyway, we needed both hands to hang on to dear life should we fall... :P S certainly needed more than 2 hands when she took the fall... hahahah...

Brandon said...

Aiyo, next trip please ask me go with you. I can take good pictures while you skating. I can take pictures even if i'm skating but use your camera la...

Kelly Rivers said...

:) All smiles... :) (Especially when you are taking my picture..) *wink* *wink*