Saturday, January 31, 2009

PS3 - Playing Seriously 3 - Wanna be a rockstar?

The latest craze in the gaming section seems to be the Rockband or Guitar Hero games. Almost every other computer shop have stocked up these mock band sets in their stores like it's the hottest items for Xmas. It's popularity is further spured by it's compatibility with PS3, Wii and Xbox 360. I suppose a lot of people buy them in conjunction with long Chinese New Year holidays. Good idea too as it's something you can show off to your guests when they come visiting besides being good entertainment value.

I now understand why cousin bought it just a few weeks before the New Year. Just ample time for them to practise. And their practise paid off as they can play expert level for drums and guitar now. No wonder he kept asking me to practise my vocal chords before coming to his house for an "audition". He seriously warned me against making a fool of myself with the vocals should I play expert level.

I still remember the eager beaver look on my cousin's face when he first got the PS3 set. He came to my house with the new toy and insisted we go for yumcha. It was pretty weird for him to insist that I go for yumcha even though there was a special guest that he wanted me to meet. True enough, Miss Cake was back from UK but I guess the real reason was to practise the Guitar Hero as it needs 4 people to make up the complete band of drums, guitar, bass and vocals.

Practising with the Guitar Hero for the first time was pretty frustrating (although fun) since everyone was new with the game. (We were so amused by the new game that we stayed till 4am - but I think the neighbours weren't too amuse with our bad music and laughters...). We couldn't even go pass the first bar without mistakes or totally striking out. Cousin Mun said he wanted to sell the set at ebay the next day. Guess he wouldn't part with it for a 1000 bucks now that he's mastered some of the songs like Hotel California, Beat It, Eye of a Tiger, Living on a Prayer and About A Girl. (To further illustrate and emphasize how frustrating it is to play "expert" level without practising: even Little b was frustrated, and shouted, "What is wrong with you guys?" when he was playing the "easy" drums while we keep striking out with our "expert" instruments. "C'mon Miao, let's get out of here", cried a bored Little b and ran off to play in the garden with his cousin Miao after we struck out a few rounds).

With this game, we now appreciate how difficult it is to play music, let alone be a rockstar (especially when you try and play No Doubt's Spiderwebs) and thus, perhaps think twice before we give in to piracy. (I know I know, the heart is willing but the flesh is weak).

Here's a few rockstars wanna be...



This one looks like a serious Yee Woo player rather than a rocker.
Aren't we a little too ambitious to play and sing at the same time?
This one takes the cake.... King of all ROCKERS!!! Yeah Man...!



The "band" singing (or killing) Nirvana's About A Girl



Living on a Prayer? How apt to be playing a rock song in front of the altar! Omitofu... Yau Kwai Muk Kwai.... (translated to something equivalent to "Father please forgive me for I have sin...")

5 comments:

fookmi said...

Metal Gear Solid still the Greatest game in the world!

KOKO KISS said...

yor, so nice, i want to play!
rrroocccckkkkaaa!!!
roarrrr.
xx

Anonymous said...

MSG is not a musical game.... grow up..!!!

Kelly Rivers said...

Fook Mi... Uncle, thank you so much for reading, but...u played MSG for so long now... don't you think it's time for a change?... update a bit lar...

Winni: Yeah baby....when can we jam together?

Anon: hi-five... :)

Anonymous said...

Correctly your article helped me truly much in my college assignment. Hats incorrect to you dispatch, wish look progressive in behalf of more interrelated articles in a jiffy as its sole of my pick topic to read.