Monday, January 05, 2009

First day of school again

Just finished wrapping son's text books - 2 nights in a row, because I ran out of wrapping plastic covers earlier. Yeah, kids nowadays are spoiled brats, the parents do everything for them...but what to do, most family units are small and usually the only son or daughter, thus the extra pampering...

Hard to believe that time flies so fast. It's like only yesterday that I blogged about his first day in Kindergarten! It's really frightening sometimes to think that all these while I have been so protective. He has never crossed the road by himself before and today I had to let him cross all by himself while watching behind the bus stop with a weary heart. He thought it was fun to have a Pedestrian Crossing Policemen to guide them across (little b calls him the "School Crossing Guard" which I later found out to be the more correct term. Hmm... he learns quite a lot from the Higglytown Heroes from Disney Channel!).

Anyway, when he finally saw me following from behind, his dependence began to seep in and he started to ask me where he should like up for the assembly. I told him that I wont be here tomorrow and he would have to ask the teacher. He was quite shy and was still tugging at my hands to bring him to the correct line among the throngs of other children in the assembly. I stayed put and just then, the bell rang, signalling the start of school. My son was like suddenly hypnotised (struck by fear perhaps?) and quickly ran to the teacher to ask her where his class is. The teacher-in-charge pointed out his class to him and he hastily walked towards the back to join the line of his cute tiny comrades.

The kids nowadays are much braver than how we used to be last time, which is good. And they are more verbal. I followed the class as their teacher bring them around to tour the school and I noticed the Year 1 children dare to ask questions, like, "What's an auditorium?"

I also find that the teacher has a hard time answering the questions belted out by these tiny tots. There's one particular stair case which leads to the staff room and the children are not suppose to use that stair case. During the tour, the teacher was warning the children not to use that stair case and one of the children shouted, "Why cannot use that staircase?"

The teacher was at her wits end and said, "I say cannot means cannot. You cannot ask me why cannot."

And then towards the end of the tour, one of the children shouted out to the teacher, "When can we go back to the class?" (in a very bored tone). Their short little legs must be tired after walking around the big school. Little b was a little frightened by the sheer size of the school and told me, "This school is dangerous, Mom. It's too big. I can get lost in it!"

I sometimes wonder how the teachers can withstand not laughing at the children, or pulling a straight face when the 30+ children starts behaving naughty. During the lesson, the teacher was explaining the discipline record book and how she would jot down their naughty deeds to show to the parents. One of the kids pointed to his neighbour and shouted at him, "She's talking about you ah!" I muffled my uncontrolled laughter at the back of the class.

And then when it was time to go home, some of the children just pack their bags and run out of the class because they were too eager to reunite with their parents. The teacher had to shout, "OOIII OOOOIIII OOIIII.... jangan balik dulu. Beratur dulu." (Don't go home yet. Have to line up). All the parents waiting outside couldn't help but let off a chuckle seeing that scene.

As I see willing parents lining up in long queues (which takes up to an hour) for school books, I can see that children nowadays are having it easy. Having said that, the standards set for them is also much higher now. I am sure these very parents, who are willing to queue up with Crocs slippers and six-inch heeled glass slippers (I am serious!), expect their children to perform much better than anyone else. As I leave him to take care of himself, I now understand that this first step in school does not only mean his first step to independence, but his journey to the survive and strive in this complex and perplexing society.

Good luck my son. May your journey be sweet and smooth....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

His short pants are soooo long.... Reminds me of the postmen of yesteryears!

hahahaha

Anonymous said...

Yeah looks like LAT cartoon!

Anonymous said...

trying save money ???

Kelly Rivers said...

Ummm... actually it's not the pants that are short .... It's his legs that are long ahahahhahaha

Just kidding...

And yeah Kokoman, he does look like the Lat comic character... but I can't help it. Nowadays the pants are all longer than what they used to be (not allowed to have any hints of sexiness ahaha). I will post some pictures of other Chinese kids who has pants of the same length (must cover up the knees).

Save money? Yeah good idea also. Was just talking about cutting costs in view of the impending gloomy economy. So we should teach them from young to understand the value of money... by letting them wear 1 uniform for 3 years! ahaha

Anonymous said...

El cheapo?