Monday, March 19, 2007

Chinese New Year 2007



The Big Chinese New Year is finally here. Yes, the Golden Boar (I wont use the other “non-halal” word as a respect to muslim readers) has arrived and has been bestowed the honour to bring luck, prosperity and happiness to one and all. The “Dog” has done a good job before handing over the year to the Boar by starting the stock market rally, treating many happy punters to big fat bonus just before the Chinese New Year holidays. And the Boar continued the rally by bringing in foreign investors to make Bursa Malaysia history (KLCI hits 14-year high in record volume on the first day of trading after the CNY break!).

It’s been a “boar-ing” new year for me. Maybe it’s due to the fact that I had to report for work on the 2nd day of CNY which dulls the whole event. Not even the ang pow which I received from my boss could cheer me up. Somehow everything seems sluggish. Even on the first day of New Lunar Year, we didn’t do much but eat and sleep a lot… signature habit of the boar? Ha ha. Up until today, the 5th day of Chinese New Year, we haven’t done much to celebrate except to sleep and eat dried meat, cookies, and Yee Sang. When we visited friends and relatives, we end up eating more dried meat, cookies and Yee Sang. In fact, the biggest event that happened to me this year is having Yee Sang with my Malay friends. Now, that was a very meaningful lunch for me - to be able to have a happy “muhibbah” lunch with my friends (ex-MBA classmates). For one of them, Azhar, it was his first time tasting Yee Sang and he found it very good (even though we found the Genki Sushi’s Yee Sang a little too bland). So that’s even more meaningful. J Incidentally, I want to add that Chinese New Year is not a Religious Celebration, but a spring festival to celebrate the coming of Spring, so that’s why you see Chinese who are of various religions celebrating it together.


Eating Muhibbah Yee Sang at Genki Sushi

Besides that, nothing interesting happened to me thus far, so I will keep this blog short and simple. Oh, a frown on Brandon’s face when I say nothing else is interesting reminded me to thank him for making me the “unofficial” product endorser for Nike Golf. Have been wearing nothing but Nike Golf shirts, Nike golf culottes, and Nike golf shoes for the whole of CNY… ”I would like to thank God for getting me where I am today and Thank you, Brandon for making all this possible.” Note that I am saying this ala Grammy’s style. Ha ha… Have a great Chinese New Year, Gong Xi Fa Cai, to all who are celebrating and to those who don’t, hope your long holidays was a great one.

No comments: