Tuesday, December 16, 2008

First time on stage

All the practice sessions in the karaoke did not prepare me for the embarassment which I brought upon myself last Saturday. I was literally forced to duet with a fellow colleague on stage to help foster better relationships within the team. Team building it seems. Somehow, I just get a feeling I was being conned - you know, like the famous cantonese saying, "being put on a table" (Umm, this has slightly different meaning from the English Idiom, "putting someone on a pedestal" (which has a good meaning). The Cantonese version refers to putting someone in a spot and subsequently forcing him to do something unwillingly where the task is totally non-beneficial to him whether or not it is performed). While it was a good experience, I cant forget how my hands shivered as I held the microphone on my right hand. I had to grasp it with both hands to stop it from being obvious. Now I know why people use both hands when they sing in a competition... ahahaha..

And it all started so badly that I fumbled on the first 2 lines. I was too playful and concentrated in trying to make my duet partner mess up his lines that I messed up my own lines. I was teasing him asking him to put in more feelings... and laughing to distract him but he was good... he didnt get distracted nor panicked. Yours truly, however, was so panicked that I forgot the whole tune ahahah.... The song was "When I fall in love", by Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole. ("Dont even think about trying Celine Dion's version", I warn myself!) Not a difficult song at all but if you do not know how to bring out the best of the song, it'll sound as boring as watching grass grow...

And to think that my cousin's band wanted to use me as their back up lead singer last time (I can't be the lead singer because I can't be commited to the band :P - well, you know, with big B and little b, I can't go for practises and gigs as often as I wanted....). I think they must have thanked their lucky stars for not being serious about their band... hahahah...

Oh well, it was a boring first time... A line that Macau Tycoon Stanley Ho's daugther Josie Ho said during the Forbes interview repeats in my head. Btw, Josie is 8th in Forbes Billionaire heiress list and is the only Chinese on the list. She said, "I stopped my singing career after singing very badly off key on stage..... but my friends encouraged me not to give up...."

So.... if you think you have rid of me and no longer have to fight me for the mic in Karaokes, you are dead wrong.... ahahahaha Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go practise my vocal chords..:) La la la la la la la....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What makes you think that you didn't did a good job? From my previous experience, you did sing quite well in K, could it be your partner for that song is lousy or not up to standard and hence pulled down your standard?
Usually is like this, if your partner is bad, it will effect you and hence you will be on par with your partner...
Maybe this is true... mind sharing the picture of the partner for that song? So that we can all avoid the same person... cheers..

Kelly Rivers said...

ha ha... Thank you for your kind words... (but I cannot speak the same on behalf of my partner haha.. and I am tempted to say he deserves it for putting me on the 'table')

Anyway, just poking fun, and meant no offence...and all these experiences do help splash colour to our mundane office life, don't it?...

I have uploaded a video as a further reminder to do better next time ahaha.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rivers, it seems that you were dressed quite nicely for the event. Showing your slim body and legs, however I cannot say the same for your partner. I think that is why you were under perform on that day. You should let your singing partner know that appearance is important and kindly do the necessary before going on stage.

Cheers... keep up the good work.

Kelly Rivers said...

Hahaha... thank you for reading and your kind remarks.

Talking about his dressing, I heard one remark saying that he looks more like a dad bring a daughter to karaoke .. :P hahahahah Sorry :P... I am just repeating what I heard...

Actually I want to thank all my colleagues for being so kind to tolerate the whole song and was extravagant with their cheers and claps.

Hahaha, better not make this sound like a Grammy award speech (with all the Thank yous...)

Cheers... May there be more funnies like these to come by for me to blog.. hahaha

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly Rivers,
I would recommend to remove the video as this is really degrading to your singing ability. The person standing next to you (the old man) is already making me puke and I have to hear his voice?

Anyway, its just my recommendation so that ppl do not have to be torture to hear him sing... ever again...

my sincere apology.

Anonymous said...

hahaha

you hate him so much, huh?