Sunday, November 11, 2007

Malaysia's 50th Merdeka

30 August 2006:

Today is the eve of Merdeka day. Bryan’s kindergarten is teaching them harmonious cultural exchange (muhibbah) by asking each and everyone of the children to wear their traditional costume to school. It’s optional so I allowed Bryan to go to school in his uniform which wasn’t a good idea as it made him feel like the odd one out. Then my son asked the teacher to call me to bring his traditional costume to school to let him change. Since I thought it would be cute to let him wear the Punjabi costume which he made for last year’s concert, I brought his “National Costume” to school and helped him change. The teacher told me that the RTM crew would come over to film them. Hmmm, no wonder the teacher obliged to Bryan’s request to call me. By making Bryan wear the traditional costume, it also helps to advertise….

Anyway, it was so cute to see them all so pretty and handsome all dressed up. And they were so excited that there’ll be a party as one girl in Bryan’s class was going to celebrate her birthday in school today. I wished I could stay to share this part of childhood memory with Bryan but I had to leave for work. Childhood memories are the best part of our memories for most of us. Life was simple and carefree. I was recently brought back to memory lane during a Karaoke session with Carmen, my cousin who spent most of her growing up years in my house as my mom babysat her and her brother. We were singing songs which we sang a lot in our childhood…. Like Spice Girls. Boy, I couldn’t stand straight due to too much laughing after rendering the Wannabe song with her. Didn’t realize that they used so much “Huh Huh Huh” and “Slam Slam Slam” in their lyrics. And she really blew me with the “Tuna Taka Wee Wee” tune (from Beyond’s AMANI) when we tried to find for some Chinese songs. Neither of us read Chinese you see.

We used to have a mini band that consist of Carmen (lead singer), her brother (Drummer) and myself (Guitarist/Singer) and tried to mimic songs from Beyond. Ironically, Mun (Carmen’s brother) really went on to form a REAL band as a drummer. (see, who says childhood games are useless!) We had a good laugh as we wondered why on earth we liked those guys with hairdos (long, curly and combed to one side! Go see Paul Wong in some of Beyond’s old music videos to see what I mean) and had small eyes and wear crummy snowcaps.

We were reminded on how we practice “seconds” while bathing (we had 2 adjacent bathroom in my mom’s house and we’d be occupying both and singing duets acapella ahahah). We sang Top of the World and Especially for you, with “high class precision” due to those “years of training” hahahaha.. Oh, ‘Top of the World’ reminded me of something funny. Kee, my colleague, told me that he hated Karaokes because he was so sick of everyone singing oldies such as My Way and Top of the World. And I told him, “Don’t worry, come to Karaoke with me and I GUARANTEE we wont sing these oldies….”

Incidentally, when I went into the Red Box karaoke with Carmen that night, under the “hit charts for the day”, in between “Umbrella” and “4 in the morning”, was “MY WAY”. And guess what, I accidentally pressed MY WAY as our first song when my intention was Gwen Stefani’s “4 in the morning”! And my cousin looked at me with a weird look and I couldn’t help laughing and told her about Kee. See, Kee you’re famous now. And yeah, true to Kee’s words, Top Of the World was also in the “Hit Charts List”… hahahaha Both of us vowed to change Kee’s mind with our version of Top of the World…. (Don’t play play, practised since we were in our teens!!! hahahaha)

It was really refreshing to sing these old songs after struggling to do Beyonce’s Irreplacable, Akon’s No Matter, PCD’s Doncha, Rihanna’s Umbrella and Gwen’s “Sweet Escape”. I cannot remember having a more wild and fun time at a Karaoke than that night with all the “Slam Slam Slam” and “Uhuh Huh Huh” …Yeah, these 2 shameless Divas really shouted our hearts and voices out.

18/11/2005 - Mun's Bday@Redbox SgWang
Ok ok to be fair to my other Karaoke kakis, I did have a lot of fun with Mun and his friends (especially the Lau Hung Qook whereby the music video takes a satirical look at Karaoke goers) and also enjoyed the sessions with my (ex) colleagues who always makes the atmosphere lively with their playful mic and remote control hogging (I won’t write about Karaoke ethics as Winnie has already done that in her blog…) and even dancing! And of course with Brandon who is always courteous and claps for everyone no matter how badly they sing (esp yours truly)! And I would never forget the fun-filled times with my ex-MBA classmates who enjoyed singing all sorts of Muhibbah songs as a way to release “assignment and exams” stress…

Happy Merdeka Day to one and all…. Muhibbah Selalu! (Viva la Harmony)





Note: 18 Dec 2004 (Khoo's farewell) @ Redbox HLA

No comments: