Thursday, July 21, 2005

First Day at the Nursery - 27 July 2004

27July 2004 - It was a fine Sunday. The phone rang and Michelle’s sweet voice greeted us on the other side of the line. Thanks to her, we manage to secure a place at Kidzsports in Bangsar for a trial nursery class for Bryan. Excitement brewed from then onwards.

I tried to tuck Bryan to slumber as it was already 12pm and time for his afternoon nap. I told him, “Quick, let’s go to sleep. Mommy is going to bring you to Kindergarten later.” This somehow gave him the wrong message. He thought I meant to bring him to the “garden”. (On most weekends, my brother and sister-in-law take Bryan and his cousins to the playground which they call garden. The kids often mistake the “Guardian” store nearby for “Garden” as well. Hmmm talk about miscommunication!).

Anyway, the Kindergarten word sparked some excitement in him and he quickly ran to the door and grabbed his shoes. He jumped up and down while shouting, “Mommy garden, mommy garden….”. When he finds me moving in sloth motion, and getting the bed ready for a nap, he started crying and shouted, “Mommy garden” even louder… so pitiful!!!

33e
Mommy, Iet’s go Garden. Water bottle is ready, let’s go!



It was with much effort before I could calm him down to explain that we need to nap first before going out. The over-active boy was actually really tired as he dozed off soon after my little lecture. (or was it me?) Time flies as I quickly rush to finish off my weekly laundry routine, and took a bath while my mom to help prepare Bryan’s porridge for “take-away”. Sleepy head Bryan wakes at 2:15 and with drowsy eyes, he finished off his milk while I packed up the stuffs that he had brought to Poh-poh’s place for the usual weekend stay-over. He began to realize that we’re going out as we changed his clothes. Sensing that he’s going out (“kai-kai”), he became alert and excited and quickly reached for his shoes again (before we even manage to comb his hair)!

Hasty goodbyes were bid, with Bryan eagerly waving at anything he sees including the plants and the TV. He has the habit (which came from observing us) of switching off the TV and fans whenever we bring him “kai-kai”. His daddy had said that he is like a sponge now, absorbing everything he observes and later reproducing it. This is actually pretty scary considering he is already imitating how some of the acrobats jump on a trampoline and off it!

Bryan_and_catBye Bye Cat! I am going off now!



Anyway, we reached the nursery around 2:45pm. While I was busy with the registration, Bryan managed to dupe Daddy into parting with a RM1 coin for his magical, rocking aeroplane ride. You should see his face as he rode. What a snob!! It was like, “Hmpffh, look at me, flying up in the sky. Pity you can’t join me!” (Let me jot down in my notebook to teach him some humility!) We were afraid that he might hog the plane when it stops. Luckily, the commotion of bringing him to the activity classroom distracted him.

The colorful classroom was more like an activity room with a baby-obstacle course that covers 3 sides of its walls while one side of the wall is fully mirrored. A slide, a music player and a balancing beam sits at the corner. Near the door there’s a cabinet for all the children’s bags (the usual diapers, water-bottles and a change of clothes for just-in-case situations!) Many other children were playing with toys in the center of the fully carpeted, air-conditioned room.

Bryan quickly made himself at home as he tottered into the center to join the group. The teacher bid him a warm welcome, calling him by his name (which was written on a piece of sticker and stuck onto his shirt for easy identification). The haughty Bryan, of course, ignored everyone’s greeting and went straight for the toys. When the teacher wanted to start the class, she ordered everyone to return the toys to the box. As I watched other children obediently returning the toys into the box, I was a little afraid that Bryan may do what he normally does at home… which is to turn the toy box over to completely release its contents onto the floor. Actually, he was about to do that when I ran over to stop him.

Bryan_stairs

Anyway, things happened quickly and everyone was supposed to sit in a circle to introduce themselves. Bryan suddenly realized that he is amidst a group of strangers and began to cling to me. “Mommy pau pau, mommy pau pau” (“Mommy, hug me, carry me”), he mumbles softly in retreat. The teacher started a roll-call and took turns in introducing the children by asking them to each do a different action, i.e.

Hi Melanie, wave your hands Melanie. Good girl Melanie.

Hi Benson, clap your hands for us. Well done Benson.

"Bryan, put your hands in the air and wave. Bryan, let me see your hands. Bryan, Bryan, Bryan??? Oh, he’s a bit shy. It’s okay for the first time.”

I can sense the teacher dismay as she wonders why she has to face another obstinate and mischievous little devil.


Then Teacher started to teach singing and dancing. Ah, Bryan’s favorite activity. As the teacher rolled her hands and dance around in a song, Bryan finds it too tedious to follow her and began wondering around (with his hands still imitating the teacher’s rolling movement). He must be thinking, “Let me see if I can sneak over to the slide without them noticing. I’ll just pretend that I am following and dance myself through the crowd to the other side.” Bryan succeeded in getting onto the slide which he played with glee. Other classmates were distracted and began to play on the slide too… Some ran around the obstacle course without paying much attention to teacher’s pictures of bee hive and bees. The teacher continues to teach the few obedient students animal sounds while my son continues to roam around in the new environment.

Bryan_on_slide

Look Mom, I am sliding!


Then it was playtime! Much to the teacher’s relieve since she doesn’t have to preach to restricted but distracted students now. The children began to run, jump around and did somersaults (with parent guidance) at free will. It was really a task for the parents to run after their kids. My son, who is particularly rough, knocked into one of the little girls which sent her running back to her mommy while crying her lungs out. I felt so embarrass as my son continued to run around as though nothing has happened. I quickly made him apologize to her. She was still crying her hearts out but subsided after some gentle coaxing from her mom. Anyway, the good thing about children is that they forgive and forget soon enough to play together again.

As the children play, my attention was diverted to another child who began to remove her pants. Hmm, she must have wet herself or her pants must be extremely uncomfortable. Very independent I thought. Slowly, I returned my gaze to my son…. Now where is he??? Hmmm… nowhere to be found!!! The teacher appears from the storeroom with a huge opened parachute and behind her was Bryan, carrying his favourite toy – a football. After clarifying with Daddy who has seen the whole thing, he confirmed that the ball was taken without the knowledge of the teacher! He laid his eyes on the ball while playing on the obstacle course and went straight for the goal! Well, the ball was a good complement for the parachute game because other boys were also in favor of football. (errr, the teacher may not agree though as it created much distraction).Anyhow, I can see that Bryan enjoyed himself very much while interacting and playing with other children.

Then everyone settled down for another round of song and dance and it was time for the goodbye song. The children are taught to give the teacher a big hug. My son, who as usual was not paying attention, did not even know who the teacher was! He just grabbed a parent and hugged her much to everyone’s amusement! He adored everyone by affectionately hugging the other kids as well, much to my pleasant surprise! Awwww.. Guess watching Barney has brought out the subtle side of him.

His first day at the nursery was indeed a very good one for everyone (except for the teacher and the little girl whom Bryan knocked down) and would go down in memory lane as one of the better milestone both for me and Bryan. One small step for Bryan, one big step for me in parenthood. As a mother in a new era, many things have advanced in leaps and bounce, especially parenthood. Let’s just hope that I can learn as much and as fast as my son to let him have the best. Excuse me now, while I soak myself in all the information brochures (Shicida Method, Kumon, Early Childhood Enrichment programs, Smart Readers etc etc) in the hope to absorb all the necessary information like a sponge!
Bryan_slide_with_tougue Bryan_slide_with_tougue_enlarge




Nyah Nyah Nyah… I get to slide and you dont!

No comments: