Saturday, October 11, 2008

Bryan - attached to the computer or to me?

Bryan is sitting on my lap as I type this blog. It's a pretty nice feeling as only yesterday I was complaining to my friend that my son isn't attached to me. Yeah yeah, I know, it's all my fault that I don't spend enough time with him but no, I am not going to dwell on that right now... because I just want to enjoy this moment with him...

"Ok Bryan, it's time for me to play the computer. You go watch your Kung Fu Panda..."

"No Mom, I don't wanna watch that. I want to sit with you Mom. I promise I won't touch anything."

Those goodie two shoes words are bound to melt any mother's heart, even the strictest...

"Alright then. Do you want to play with my facebook? Like feed the werewolves?"

"But Mom, feeding them are SOOO BORINGGG! I rather go read my books..."

With that statement, I can't help but laugh...

Well well well, Bryan has grown up and has a mind of his own... no longer accepting everything I feed him... He knows what he wants online. He goes into Google and search for his own entertainment, be it Disney Channel, YouTube or online games like Scooby Doo, Spiderman or Batman. Yep, he started to surf the net at the tender age of 3, thanks to the online addicted Mom. My intentions isn't to make him technology savvy but to tap onto the advanced US websites such as Fisher Price and HIT Entertainment (Home of Barney and Thomas & Friends) whereby they have modern methods in making learning fun. Ok, ok I confess...I was also lazy. I let the web teach my son the ABCs and the 123. But hey, it works. My son even learnt about shapes and colours all through the web!

Ok, this leads me to another confession... this Mom is also guilty of leaving language teaching all to technology whereby his son learnt all the English phrases from Channel 613 - Playhouse Disney Channel on Astro. No regrets though, as his command of English is pretty good for his age and I liked the way he practises his English with me. I remember there was one night 2 years ago when I came home from work and he said with all seriousness and in perfect English intonation,
"Where have you been, Mom? I am so glad to see you... I missed you."
However, I didn't get a hug or any emotional display of the intense missing feeling, so I assumed it must have been some line he picked up from the Playhouse Disney Channel. Still, he certainly made my day and has touched my heart with that line and you bet I'll remember it for the rest of my life!

While I am proud that he's had a head start, just a word of caution to the parents out there - Just be sure that they don't play or stare at the monitor too much. Too much of a good thing is always bad. And try to get an LCD monitor, if possible. I think my earlier cathode tube monitor and cathode tube TV may have caused some short sightedness in Bryan. Although some may argue that his short sightedness might be hereditary, it never hurts to be safe than sorry....

No comments: