Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Post-Euro '08

The dust of the wee-hour excitement and the adrenaline-pumping Euro 2008 football matches have almost settled, after the final whistle blew 2 weeks ago (29 June 2008) where Spain triumphantly brought home the EuroCup with just a 1-0 score against Germany.

I have never been a great fan of football, until Ping (my mentor since I first stepped into this dog-eat-dog corporate world) taught me to gamble against our boss. He says, "Nobody has worse gambling luck and worse gambling habits than he, so it's always safe to either bet against him or in any team that he's not taking." And the best part is, Ping led my boss to think that I know "nuts" about football and thus I am easy money. And that was how it started... World Cup 1998. At first, it was just Ping and I against Boss. Then more and more people cashed in on the easy money against him. I really had no conscience then when I received the cheque of RM1500++ from him. I am really sorry WCC... but thanks for the memories!


(special note: my share and Ping's combined was possibly less than RM100. I guess the others must be laughing all the way to the bank with Boss's money!!!)


And then, later Cousin Mun came up with his online-pool which brought about heartbreaks after heartbreaks; whereby people I least expected to win, ends up taking all the money...(such as Kenson, who thinks Trinidad and Tobago deserves to qualify, went on to win the WorldCup 2006 pool.... Got Logic meh??? hahahaha). This year, Simon took home the pool. He's another example of "Got Logic meh?" Syndrome as he's one of those guys I like to bet against (Oh, you know what I mean...). Actually, it's not really the money that matters (we're all "small time" players) but you have to see their faces when they GLOAT! OMG....

Anyhow, this year we're still glad that Simon won, as it went to someone close.... so Cousin Mun, Carmen and I still have hope for a treat. (*hint* *hint*)

Before you all misunderstand me for a big time gambler, I am not. I am just a participant; happy to have friends who get together to watch a healthy sport while having a side bet to make the game more "interesting". (Ummm, occasionally the side bet might blow out of proportion due to greed or perhaps desperation for a quick windfall, but we're still "small time" gamblers... err, relatively....Well, some people think betting their "condo" is just a small time side bet. As I said, everything is relative... hahaha)

Oh, I have to warn the "small time" gamblers to watch their gambling habits, and keep the bets small and healthy so as not to be sucked into the vortex of greed, desperation and debts. Cousin Mun and I got a little lesson in greed, debts and desperation this year. When Spain sealed the victory over Germany, Cousin Mun and I blew a heavy sigh of relieve... Mainly because we get to gloat back and well, let's just say we're just glad that Cousin Mun didn't end up having to drink paraquat (weed killer).... Hahaha...

Till the next football (aka gambling) season, Happy Punting!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should mention that I could have covered back all that I lost on the final game if you didnt advise me not to "fun san" haha

I could have recovered, the world could have been mine for the taking and you stopped me!

Kelly Rivers said...

Hmmm yeah, you're welcome..

Awww c'mon... I saved you from drinking paraquat...

Anyway, there're still plenty of chances to "revenge"... There's World Cup coming soon, right? (2010... that gives you plenty of time to recuperate...haha :P)