Saturday, September 15, 2007

Model Mom? Part 2

FRI. 08/12/2006.

I was reluctant at first. When a friend called me up to model for his packaging/product cover, terrifying flashback from earlier attempts at modeling flooded my memory. I was so young then 17 and fresh from school, no experience whatsoever. (Teenagers at 17 back then was very different from the 17s now who are more well-informed)。 My friend who was a part-time model says that there’s a job which requires no experience. They wanted fresh faces, they said. So I went. And no guidance was given. Just ask me to look natural at the camera and smile. It was for a Singaporean magazine and I was like totally lost when they started clicking. I didn’t even know when to start posing. So I just stood there and froze. I could smile, but I froze, I couldn’t pose because I just simply don’t know how to. The photographers were mean. They didn’t help. They didn’t let me know what they want. I think they were just annoyed that I was the only one not “working hard” unlike the other talents. So the event was very embarrassing and unpleasant. I felt stupid. I hated myself for not being able to do such a simple thing. From that day onwards I shy away from all modeling jobs or things that would expose myself to public ("Phau Tau Loh Mien" in cantonese).

And then I told my buddies at work about the job. And in the midst of their jeer and tease, they actually encouraged me. (Now I understand what TAY means when she said, “Although he laughs at me, deep inside he still cares!” haha). Their advice came in various shapes and sizes:

Leonard: “Well, its an opportunity mar…There are so many girls around KL…Not so easy to get this chance leh… you’re not getting any younger.

Kee: “Should go for it lah... no need money lah, your get exposure of different kind which is worth more.......Anyhow, they’ll just be taking your finger.

David: “I think you are photogenic. Not to say you’re not gorgeous looking in real life, but you look even better in photos. Anyway, it’s their job to make you look nice, so no worries. Should go for it. No harm.
LWee: “You should take it, may open up a new path way for you, in modeling, advertising etc, never too old to try cause got difference market mah, I saw there are plenty of advertising/modeling opportunity for aunties….

Finally, I gathered enough courage to go. And boy it was great. The poses were all pre-fixed. They told me exactly what they want. And told me where my pictures would be fitted in (on a CD box cover of an SMS software they are going to market) and thus letting me know that my hands can only stretch so far. (Too wide and it’ll be off the CD size). They told me that my action and expression would be of an office girl trying to press a button and the button is actually a globe. Suppose to portray that with the product, one can be connected to the world easily with just a press of a button. All their instructions were clear and concise and we started taking pictures within minutes. I could easily produce what they want. I felt good when the photographer commented that I am easy to work with, as they didn’t need to tell me much.

Since it was an easy shot, they wanted me for another scene. Sitting down with arms open wide (not legs, mind you...) to portray an impression of "easy to get a job well done". I did that and it was over within minutes too.


Oh, and for the record, they really wanted to take my finger too as what Kee has predicted. They did a close up picture of my finger, trying press a button.

Well, I am glad I went. Everything went well, and I hate myself less for being stupid at 17. Sorta like a ego-redemption experience. And really it wasn’t the pay that counts. Not even the photo shoot itself. It’s realizing that after all these years, it’s not your fault. And realizing that you have great buddies who spur you on and pick you up when you need it the most (even though they did it mostly for laughs). Now that’s what really counts…..

Here are something to show from behind the scene. Not the actual shots but something taken with my friend’s IXUS 50 and his Dopod.


It’s pretty dark here.. wonder if it’s brighter with the Prosumer that the Lillian the photographer used. (looked brighter when I previewed on her camera’s LCD)

Opps... as I speak, another photographer wants me to help him with his pictures... excuse me... (*ahem)

No comments: