Sunday, July 22, 2007

Bryan's first coloring contest!

I guess words fails me at the amusement that these 2 kids brought us today. It was Bryan's first coloring contest and thanks to Miao, he manage to pluck all his courage to get through with it. He was so excited that he was already talking about it the whole Saturday. When he woke up, he asked, "Are we going for the coloring contest today?" I suddenly remembered I had to sharpened his colors for him.... (later I found out that Miao was even more anxious about the contest that she sharpened and resharpened her colors and began to cry when they broke! ahahahah)
Anyway, we were at the Great Eastern Mall for the first time at around 1.15pm to register for the event. The response was so good that they ran out of application forms and receipts. Luckily, they let us participate anyway.
Bryan had the worse set of tools as he only had color pencils while the rest of the contestants came well equiped with water colors, pastel colors, crayons, 4B/6B pencils, magic ink, florescent pens... you name it, they've got it. They even bought their own coloring table!!!

We were quite worried since this was a free drawing and the title was "What Merdeka means to you." It was already difficult for Bryan to even do coloring, now he has to draw pictures from scratch....My goodness, I think he's going to draw blanks litterally. And what would Merdeka means to kids... How would they know what it means as they weren't even born 50 years ago.... Goodness.... Well, no choice.. they were already sitting in the contest floor, waiting for the contest to start... Let's just see what they'll come up with .....

Surprisingly, they were quite creative. Bryan actually explained to me that those stick people he drew were Malaysians of Chinese, Indian and Melayu (in his own words which meant Malay)... Amazing... And he says that purple thingy is a house for all Malaysians to stay... The brown thingy on the left is a Rocket, hmmm... pretty creative, huh... And obviously the flag were significant of Merdeka. The birds and rainbows were for freedom (I guess Miao Miao taught him this after hearing from the Judge/Artist who gave some pointers earlier). Anyway, Miao Miao helped him a lot as Bryan didn't even know what was going on!

Well, all's well ends well and Miao Miao won 3rd runner's up for being creative in using Color Pencils. Amists all the Magic, Pastel, Oil and Water colors, the conventional Color Pencils stood out. What a great day for a 6 year old. :) The funny thing was, Bryan keep asking me, when's his turn to take a prize and I had a tough time taming him. Each time they announce a winner, he put up his hands AHHAHAHAH.. So silly!!!


Anyway, Bryan did win a consolation prize... a goodie bag with some stationeries, notepads and a bag. However, he refused to get down from the stage! He wanted his ARTWORK back! What a funny scene.. ha ha... Anyhow, he got it back after I coax the organisers to return it....


All in all it was a great day to see those kids take their first steps into experiencing things they have never done before. It was a first experience for us too to see their reaction at this "contest" experiment. Good exposure for them I must say, and well, my effort in sharpening the color pencils didn't go to waste.. hahahaha...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha! I remember my first coloring contest. It was a free title drawing contest. I remember my friend drawn a twin little stars - one boy in blue hair and girl in pink hair with a wand, affixed with a star while I drew the lake gardens in Taiping.

I got the consolation prize too. My friend didn't get anything.