Sunday, April 20, 2008

Crossroads

Life is truly a maze …. That’s why it’s amazing. It’s a labyrinth that takes us through endless crossroads which we have to choose our path in order to move forward or maybe stay put and be sucked into the never ending vortex of void, sometimes known as boredom, which is born out of routine cycles.

Sometimes, there are easy and clear choices which don’t need Einstein to figure out the best option to take. However, more often than not, we’re faced with extremely challenging crossroads where the path ahead is not as clearly laid as we would like it to be. There may not be street lights (not even lanterns nor torchlight) to brighten our way and it may even be a long and winding road ahead.

So do we tread along? Or do we sit down to rest on our laurels?

When we are still young, the answer is easy…. tread along we must. We were gung ho… we have nothing to lose… We don’t wait around for opportunity to come by, we just know we must seize whatever opportunity that we get. But as we grow older, we have already achieved so much more. And the more we have, the more we risk losing. And the higher the risk, the more afraid we become of losing. Money, friends, family, loved ones, social network, face, dignity…. We stand to lose all kinds of everything….

So now the question is, how do we tread along? Do we take what seemed to be the easy road at face value or do we follow our gut feelings to follow the road less traveled? Do we evaluate every single detail option until the opportunity disappear. I dont know. I dont have the answer.

Why am I pondering about all these? Is it because I am having a quarter life crisis or something? Well I don’t know either. It could be the sudden loss of a young friend recently which triggers a lot of thinking lately. It could be the various other changes currently happening in my life which has brought me onto crossroads after crossroads which made me reconsider all the options that life has offered me and all the options that I can create for myself.

Whatever it is, the answer is always in our own hands. We may not see the answer now, but we should keep on trying to find the answer. There is always an answer to everything. It is there but somehow our senses are sometimes blurred and we can’t see the obvious answer which is starring right at us.

It is times like these that many of us slide into depression. I do not deny that I am in a very confused state of mind now but I am conscious about it and I am awake enough to tell myself not to lose control. I think a lot of people go into depression unknowingly and easily lose control. Eventually they lose themselves and end up doing foolish things. Those who are lucky live to regret about it but there are those who don’t even live long enough to regret. So, take a deep breath and try to take everything in our stride....The key is never to give up. Seek and we shall find as the answer lies right in front of us. Don’t pressure ourselves to see the answer too soon, for everything will unveil themselves when the time is ripe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I already have this I-dont-give-a-shit mentality. I guess ignorance is indeed bliss.

I have come to the point in my life to understand that, whatever we have, own or work for, would eventually leave us. And this life is not permanent, hence why do we even bother to think or fear of what we are going to lose or losing?

Forget the past, future would have enough worries on its own. Live in the present.

Kelly Rivers said...

Thanks Gina... it's a pleasure to know that I have a pal out there that I can count on giving a pointer or two whenever I am lost.

Still a bit baffled by the surrounding happenings to think straight but I guess the skies are beginning to clear with every little step I take... :)