Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Will you still love me... tomorrow...

When I get older losing my hair,
Many years from now,
Will you still be sending me a valentine,
Birthday greetings, bottles of wine?

You'll be older too
And if you say the word
I could stay with you

I could be handy, mending a fuse,
When your lights have gone,
You can knit a sweater by the fireside
Sunday mornings go for a ride,

Doing the garden, digging the weeds,
Who could ask for more,
Will you still need me,
Will you still feed me,
When I am sixty-four?
(Excerpt from Beatle's song, 'When I'm Sixty Four', 1967 Northern Songs.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~**********@@@@@@@@@@@**********~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
13 April 2007, Friday.

Yesterday night, I worked till late, skipping dinner and all. I got a call from Brandon at around 10pm asking for my whereabouts and he sounded disappointed that I was still in the office and passed the phone to our son to wish me goodnight. I told him I’d probably finished at around 11 and reach home by 12, expecting him to tuck himself to bed first. When I finish, it was already 11:30pm. I literally flew home (KL to home in around 20 minutes!) as I was so tired and exhausted that I want to end the day as soon as possible. When I reached home, Brandon has thoughtfully left the non-auto gate open for me so that I can drive straight in. As I close the gate, I heard the front door opening, and a sleepy head peeked out from behind the grill. He smiled and that was the sweetest smile I have seen the whole day and it immediately took some of my fatigue away. I gave him a bear hug and kiss as I entered the door and I could tell that he missed me very much from his lingering kiss right at the gates (we are very shy people and usually avoid public expression of love haha). Then we suddenly realized that the neighbours might be watching, and giggled as we close the wooden door and walked hugging each other upstairs.


Now, if you think that we did something X-rated after that… no worries, no juicy details as I am having my monthly cycle. Ha ha. Our usual routine would be he’d go to bed and I will continue with my “getting ready for bed” ritual which may range from 30 minutes to 3 hours depending whether I get stuck surfing the internet. But yesterday was a little different. He was still awake after my bath and asked if I wanted to have supper. I was hungry, but I didn’t want to get fat, so I told him so.
Although we know that we’ll both get fat eating at 1 o’clock in the morning, he was adamant that I shouldn’t go to bed without dinner (an excuse I presume as he also wanted to eat! :P). So, he rushed down to the kitchen and fixed me my favourite Indomie Goreng (topped with a sunny side up) and an Ibumie Prawn Mee for himself. I was truly smitten by the perfectly done eggs…. I melted when he served me the hot plate of noodles capped with the wobbling orange egg yolk. I switched the TV to his favourite sports channel and we both slurped down our noodles watching the Champion’s League highlights where Man U thrashed Roma 7-1 and Arsenal beat Valencia 2-1. After I cleaned up all the dishes, we walked up again hand-in-hand, tired, sleepy, but fully satisfied. :D


~~~~~~~~~~~~~**********@@@@@@@@@@@**********~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The above was a sneak preview of what an ordinary married life would be. Of course it varies from day to day and it definitely has its ups and downs, but these are the days we live for and cherish and try to remember till our dying days.
Recently I had a friend who was quite adamant in staying single, possibly due to pass failed relationship, bad experiences or the ever increasing divorce rate. I felt sad as I thought he was missing a little gift from God. I mean, I am not saying marriage is all bliss and seventh heaven, but it’s really not as bad as we all think it is. God created this life cycle,
born -> grow -> marriage -> reproduce
for a reason. I am sure He didn’t create it just to punish us sinners ahahaha…

So I hope the above snippet would spread a little cheer, give a little hope, maybe change some views about getting married…
The Beatle song serves as a reminder of how wonderful married life (or staying together with someone) can be in our golden retirement years (if we set our goals to achieve so....)

No comments: